Search This Blog

Thursday, March 06, 2008

RE: Bread Machines

It looks like you can find a bread machine on ebay for $20.oo typically and I saw one for $3.00 (but shipping was $18.95) I did find a loaf slicing guide for about $15.00. I know the slices would still be big, but we tend to waste a lot of the sandwhich getting the crusts off, especially when we're in a hurry, so that wouldn't be horrible. Realistically I doubt we'd use it in place of regular sandwhich bread forever. But it might be nice for times when money's especialy tight or when they're in a sandwhich phase (like now). Like I said, we love homemade bread. My Mom has a bread machine and she used to make some whole wheat bread that I loved! I think my sister has one also, so I could probably borrow one to give it a test run before buying one myself. It'd probably be fun to play around with every now and then.

Isn't it funny what things prompt people to comment on? It's almost never the posts I'd expect to generate interest!

5 comments:

Michele said...

I have one of those slicers....if you end up with a bread machine, and I can figure out where mine is, you are welcome to it! I could get it to Jamie, who could get it to Sue, who could get it to someone, and so on and so on and so on! Please just let me know....it's yours for the taking if you want it!

sajmom said...

LOL-my Mom showed up at my doorstep with her bread machine tonight. If you find the bread slicer I would love to take it off your hands! Thank you for the offer!

Sue said...

See, when there's a way it always works out. Now you can practice making bread and seeing if this is what you want and will you use it a lot to benefit from getting one of your own.

Then you will also see how long the bread stay fresh. I know from experience, when the bread starts getting not soft again, you don't tend to eat it as quickly, as it was fresh. Billy would always drive me nuts when he was a teenager if the bread wasn't to his liking. I would always buy 2 loaves at a time and if the first would lose its freshness he would open the second loaf, :(. That made me so angry. I know now with me I tend to do almost the same. I use staler bread for toast and use the fresher bread for sandwiches, it never goes to waste.

Good Luck! Let us know how you like it.

sajmom said...

We get our pizza for free from Tony's, so that part of it wouldn't save us money. But the less processed the food we eat, the better! I'm not really worried about it staying fresh. As I said, between me and the kids, we've been going through almost a full loaf of bread a day here.

Sue said...

Steph, I was at Ollies yesterday on Hamilton Blvd, and they had a Sunbeam Bread Maker there for $39.99. I didn't know if it is a good one or not. It makes bread in an hour, that's all I know about it. It looked nice!