Search This Blog

Sunday, March 30, 2008

3 quotes to remember

This is not my writting, I copied this from LargerFamilies.com(For obvious reasons, I like the dedication from Cheaper by the Dozen best):


The three things I most want my children to remember me as aren’t single words, but phrases and ideas...
Dorothy Canfield Fisher once said: “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.” I’d like for my children to remember me as a pillar of strength who taught them how to be strong men and women who make and stand by their good choices, self starters who can figure out how to navigate through life.
In her autobiography, Dust Tracks on a Road, Zora Neal Hurston wrote: “Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground.” When my kids are adults, I want them to remember me as optimistic and confident -- as someone who “jumped at the sun” and encouraged them to do the same at every opportunity.
One of my all-time favorite books as a child was Cheaper By the Dozen, the autobiographical story of the Gilbreth family, written by two of the family’s 12 kids. It wasn’t until I was much older that I could really appreciate the dedication: "To Father, who had only twelve children, and to Mother, who had twelve only children.” I’d like my children to remember me as a mother who treated each one of them as if they were the most important -- all at the same time. I don’t know that there’s one adjective to describe that (maybe one of my kids will make one up) but, whatever that word is, if they use it to describe me, I will be a very happy mom!
Lylah is a full-time editor, part-time freelance writer, and mom and stepmom to five kids. She writes about work-life balance at The 36-Hour Day and blogs about writing at Write. Edit. Repeat.
By Lylah at 03/26/2008 - 14:21
Lylah's blog
2 comments

No comments: