Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Lack of info

Leanna's elementary school uses a system of "money" for rewards. For example, they sent home a code of conduct book yesterday with a page a parent had to sign and return to the school. So they told the kids that if their parents signed and returned the page the next day they would get 5 peices of school money. That's different. I wonder if calling it money motivates some of the kids more than a regular reward system?

I'm really surprised by the lack of info coming from the school. I would have thought there would be some sort of introductory note from the teacher but there wasn't. Nothing telling me when gym is so that I can make sure she wears sneakers that day. Or that she'll have some homework every night so I can make sure she remembers to do it. They're trusting the first graders to tell their parents all the info? I had to ask about a form to fill out for lunches. I still haven't been given a paper to update contact info (although they mentioned it must be done). They sent home a page welcoming the kids back to school and it has school events for Sept-Oct. on it, but no explanation of what these events are. I assume by next year we'll know, but for the first child and new to the school it'd be nice to know what's going on. Like last year when Leanna's weekly newsletter from her teacher would mention the Beary Best Bear program. It never told what that was and I wondered the first few times if I was supposed to attend and Leanna had just not been give a paper about it or lost it. Turns out you only find out what it is if your child is getting an award-then they sent a letter home asking you to attend.
Is this normal? Or is our school district just weird?

3 comments:

Michele said...

My kids elementary school had a Meet Your Teacher night every year, usually about the second or third week of school. It was then that the teacher reviewed her goals, expectations, class rules, homework, etc. Is there anything like that? We had a brief time to introduce ourselves to the teacher. It wasn't, however, meant to be a time for a personal conference.

I also found that each teacher did everything differently. Each of them did seem to have a 'student of the week', but went about honoring them a bit differently.

sajmom said...

I think the open house night is in October I dont know what to expect from that. School is quite a bit different from when I went....we used to have a student of month (but not of the week! Wow! that's a lot!)

Sue said...

Our school just had open house last night, where you met their teacher and learned how the school operates. Our school also has students of the week, because when a student gets the award and I cross them they usually tell me. They where an award ribbon, but I don't know if they get a prize, I'll have to find out today. At our open house you are allowed to bring the child and the child can show you her/his desk. It was neat watching the parents and their kids walking to school last night and the kids were all excited when they walked back. You could hear them talking to their parents.