Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Insurance companies

First, I think calling a miscarriage ELECTIVE is awful. I've been through one and I wasn't really thrilled with the fact that a miscarriage is medically called a "spontaneous abortion." To have it called elective and then have to go through the fun of dealing with the insurance company to straighten the mess is awful.


That said, I was really fascinated by the comments. The person who comments under the name LS is really misguided, in my opinion.
1. I don't think we have first rate healthcare in the US
2. He says, "E.R.'s are required by law to treat anyone who comes in, regardless of ability to pay, and there are free clinics in every major city and many minor cities in this country. "

and: "And, as for access, people without insurance are less likely to seek medical treatment, routine or otherwise, when they cannot afford it."If they don't seek medical care now, what makes you think they'll seek medical care when the Feds are paying for it? I know plenty of people who currently HAVE insurance coverage and they don't go to the doctor, or even seek care unless they're sitting on their death bed. And even then, it's at the behest of a family member who drags them in, kicking and screaming."


Umm......when you don't have medical insurance you avoid going to the doctor or hospital unless it's an emergency because even though they have to treat you YOU STILL GET BILLED! And your credit still gets ruined when you can't pay them for the treatment! So naturally you don't go unless it's serious. That can cause more health problems!

Also, apparently many people do not realize that YOU DO NOT GET THE SAME CARE WHEN YOU HAVE A. NO INSURANCE B. MEDICAID OR C. SUCKY INSURANCE. Emergency workers must stablize you and then you are sent home, they don't have to make you well, just stable. And doctors will often not suggest expensive treatments even if they know it will help you because they know you or your insurance will not be able to pay for them! I can testify from experience that doctors/dentists/vision centers that cater to low income people are overcrowded and they don't have the time or desire to give true individual treatment. You wait a long time to get in-which probably contributes to people not going to the doctor-and then are rushed through the actual appointment. The staff are often rude(I imagine because they're overworked and deal with people cranky from waiting) and doctors often aren't up to date on their medical knowledge. I can give examples of this if you are curious. You aren't given options, and you are given drugs for just about every problem. It is definitely not the same care you get from a private practice!!
So arguing that people don't deserve healthcare because they don't go to the doctor very often is kind of rediculous. If they were treated better and didn't have to worry about how they were going to pay, I'm pretty sure most of them would go to the doctor's office more frequently!

I agree with the person that says that we oversue in this country.
I also thought it was scary that someone mentioned having mandatory treatment. I do not want the government to tell me when I have to go to the doctor or what treatment I must get. That is my decision, not theirs!

1 comment:

Laura said...

What about a miscarriage is "elective"?