Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Girl Scouts


I'm excited! Leanna's going to be a girl scout and her first meeting is tomorrow night. I've read that the girl scouts have really revamped the program, to make it more modern and reflect changing needs for girls to be leaders. I think it will be interesting to see how the program has changed since I was a girl.
From their website:
Empowering Girls
In Girl Scouts, girls discover the fun, friendship, and power of girls together. Through a myriad of enriching experiences, such as extraordinary field trips, sports skill-building clinics, community service projects, cultural exchanges, and environmental stewardships, girls grow courageous and strong. Girl Scouting helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others.


We have a family history with scouting. My paternal grandfather was very active in scouting, he firmly believed in giving back to your community and helping boys. He was awarded the silver beaver award which I believe is one of the highest you can earn. I was a girl scout for about 4 years myself. I think it will be a good experience for her. And I'm sure just about everyone reading this blog is going to want some girl scout cookies!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

That's really neat! You'll have to let me know how it's changed- I was a girl scout too.