Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Finally, the kindergarten post!

So, yesterday was the big day! My baby, my first-born baby started school! I sent around a bunch of pictures, since I couldn't post all of them here, for safety reasons (some pictures showed her last name and our address, etc.). Well, I got up early and made her stinky eggs. I don't like eggs or even the smell of them. And they smelled just like how Grammy makes them-cause that's the best-but she told me that her belly hurt for eggs. So my efforts were for nothing! She said she'd eat rice krispies, but a few spoons into it she threw up a little. I think it was nerves. I got her to eat a single piece of toast. And she drank a little milk and that was it. She was somewhat excited-not as exuberant as the day before, but still excited. Especially to wear the backpack. I'm not sure why, it was empty. Maybe just cause it was pink and princess. Both favorites right now. I ended up having to make Tom eggs too, he stayed home to take her to school also. We walked there and it was starting to lightly rain. There weren't all that many other walkers, most kids are bussed there because all kindergartners in the city are sent to that school(then in first grade they go to the school that's closest). We were the only parents with a camera and the only ones with both parents there. No one looked like they were feeling proud or sad or anything. It's such a milestone-I was surprised by that. The kids were heavily minority. When they started getting off the buses, a few kids were crying. I felt bad for them! Leanna was just observant at the school. Not excited but not crying either. When some of the kids started lining up and going in and I told her she had to get in line to go in, that's when it hit her. Her pretty blue eyes teared up a bit and she asked me if I would stay until she went in (of course!) and when I would be back. She didn't cry, she just looked a little worried.

At home Justin kept asking where Leanna was. About every five minutes in the beginning. One time when he asked if he could come with me to get her(after I explained that we would pick her up later) he quickly ran down the steps and started opening the door.

Then we left to get her and it seemed awful empty. I expected to see other people there. I left early because my paper the school sent only showed the times for the buses, so I figured ok, I guess they just put anyone on the buses that doesn't have a parent waiting for them(that would explain why they emphasized being there on time). So I purposely left extra early to make sure I would be there before the buses. But no, as if I didn't have enough drama in my life, that was not the case. I thought it seemed awful strange but I waited for a bit in case I was just earlier than I thought. Did I look at the clock wrong?? Was I really late?? Finally I had to go ring the buzzer and ask, (because you can't just walk into a school anymore they're locked), and it turned out that no kids were at the school anymore. I had to come inside to talk to the secretary. This meant just leaving the double stroller sitting in the hall because it's too heavy to drag up the stairs. So the very rude secretary determined that Leanna was indeed waiting at the school the bus let her off at. I explained about 20 times that no where on the paper I received did it give the exact time that school started and stopped, just bus pickup/dropoff times for the bus. And that I asked about walking her to school at both registration and orientation and was told just to come to the side door. Finally it got through to the lady that mixed up, that my daughter had been mistakenly signed up for the bus list and so I had been sent the wrong paper. It was very embarrassing for me even though I actually didn't do anything wrong. So I had to run over to the school Leanna was being held at. And I do mean run, because after hashing it out with the secretary the poor kid had been out of school for almost an hour! I felt like such a bad mom! Luckily as it was the first day she didn't know what to expect, so it wasn't scary for her that I wasn't there to pick her up. She was glad to see me though.

She also made a friend waiting in the school office for me. Another little girl's Mom wasn't there yet so they sat together and held hands. She actually told me she liked sitting in the office with the girl better than school itself!

At first she had little to say about what school was like. Little by little it came out as the night wore on. She had music class and learned a song about a squirrel with a squishy mushy tail! You have to see the choreography with that one! And they got to color a picture of the school, then draw themselves in it and paste it on a paper. She enjoyed using paste. She really liked the substitute teacher and raising her hand to ask questions. She continued raising her hand at home. She said some kids didn't know how to write their names. She told me they gave her an orange and would give her one everyday, but later she confessed that she didn't eat anything. I don't know why she said that in the first place but she said it again since it made me happy. I was just thrilled because she doesn't eat oranges. Oh well.

She stayed up to see Daddy, he came home late. And then I just went to bed with her, we snuggled in bed together and she just kept talking about school. She said she didn't like it much, but she couldn't stop talking about it. And she was all worked up all night long. In bed she couldn't stop wiggling around until she fell asleep. She told me that in line for the bus the boy in front of her was so close that his bookbag was in her chest. So she pushed him. He turned around and said in a funny voice, Hey! You pushed me! Now I'm going to watch you to make sure you don't do it again! And she said he stood there watching her. But he wasn't mad about it, luckily for her! Leanna kept asking me what else she would learn at school. She already did letters and sounds that day! Finally she dropped off. What a day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing all that Steph, very interesting.

Jamie said...

this is kinda weird so i hope i say this right...i like the part where leanna "threw up a little" i think it is so sweet that she had almost stage fright :-) but being a trooper that she is, she still went to school without a fight! how exciting it must have been to watch her go to her first day of school! i also love the pic of her hugging daddy, so sweet!!

i get a little sad when i see the school bus pics b/c jonathan will not be able to ride the bus at that age (or ever probably). in my research, most kids with food allergies avoid the bus b/c the school cannot guarantee that there will not be any food on the bus. i've heard stories of the bus driver handing out m&m's to the the kids and stuff...i kinda hope we are close to the school to walk but if not, we'll be driving him. no biggie, but i kinda wish i could see him off on the bus on his first day :-(

sajmom said...

Actually she's lined up to go in the school. I walk her to and from school so there's no bus pictures! I don't think there's that much to miss out on. The kids getting off the buses looked a lot more scared than those who were waiting with their parents.

Jamie said...

thanks for clearing that up :-) yeah i guess you can have the same experience seeing your child off to school, whether you walked there or took a bus...i don't know how i missed that b/c i read your post and you even talk about walking...hmmm... i think i'm just being sad about buses period b/c i've been seeing so many of them driving to work and such...

sajmom said...

I understand what you're saying about being sad about it. I just figured I'd point out that it doesn't have to be as big a deal as you'd think. I got the same type of pictures as kids who waited in line for the bus, only I got to be there as she went into the school. As you've been finding out with Jonathan's allergies, not doing the "normal" thing can have it's perks too. : )