Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2009

The cake


Those are swedish fish in the sea, pretzel rod oars, boat trim and as the body of the cannon, root beer barrels for barrels, and whoppers for cannon balls and also as part of the cannon. I just stuck the umbrella in last minute to add color. The treasure chest is cake. I meant to make better sails, but last minute it ended up being plain notebook paper. The pirate is from Timothy's birthday present.





I love the stubble on him!



I'm not proud of this cake, which is really dissapointing because I did want to make everything very special for Timothy since he's been looking forward to this birthday. I know, at four, it's not a huge deal to him if his cake isn't awe inspiring. But it was very frustrating for me because this is a simple cake and it should have been much better. I was just out of time and out of patience at this point. Things didn't work out the way they were supposed to the day before and I was out later than I intended the night before, the kids kept waking up one by one that night, and it just didn't go as planned. The day of the party I was still cleaning like crazy and trying to decorate, wrap the last couple presents, finish the cake, do dishes, bathe all four kids, temporarily move homeschooling supplies, bring down presents and supplies.........just all sorts of things, most of which should have been finished the day before.
I can no longer use cake mixes to make birthday(or any other kind of!) cakes. Because of Jacob's allergies I have to do homemade. (Stupid soy!) Luckily, I think the cake tasted great (I was worried). But it does take longer this way. I honestly feel like making this cake again, not even on a birthday, just to do it justice!



3 comments:

Sue said...

Steph, I really wish you would stop putting yourself down the way you do. You have 4 kids to run after, a house to get cleaned, a cake to make, presents to wrap and whatever else you do to make a nice party for each child. You are only one person.

I didn't like that Tom sat on the recliner, while you were doing what had to be done and I told him so yesterday, when he stopped at my house for an emergency. I know he works out of the house all day and he feels the house chores are your responsibility, because you are home all day, but you both created the four kids, so each is responsible in making the house look nice. Of course, Tom didn't agree with me. Oh well!

So, I feel you did quite well and pulled off a very nice party for Timothy. The pirate theme was a great idea and he loved everything about it, so that how you have to look at. He is only 4 and he will look at it when he is older on how much time and effort you put into it and the love.

So, please stop downing yourself and say to yourself it was a day well worth it in the end.

The cake was the best you ever made, so homemade is good for you. It is so much more moister than a box cake anyday.

Sue said...

You also forgot to add the waves were friut rollups. A neat idea!

Jamie said...

that's a cool cake! good job!