Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2009

Candy Freak

I'm about halfway through a bargain book find, Candy Freak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America by Steve Almond. I picked it up at Borders to peruse while drinking a cup of relief on Friday night. I didn't think it would be interesting enough to read the whole book, I figured I'd flip through it while there and put it back. But it is surprisingly interesting and I decided to spring for the $4.00 to make the book mine. For the record, while I enjoy candy, I am not a candy freak. And I had no idea that people like the author existed!! It's kinda neat to read people's memories of their childhood favorite candies. For the author's website: go here. An interesting review of the book and author: here

2 comments:

Jamie said...

i'd call myself a pastry freak. i'm always thinking about cookies and cakes. in fact, when i decided to give up sugar, etc, i didn't sleep that night b/c i was up thinking about how i'd make a cookie!

sajmom said...

LOL, that's too funny. Everybody has at least one special sweet food memory. Reading the book reminded me of when I worked for Winn-Dixie (Deli) and at night we would take a fresh apple pie from the bakery and top it with Eddie's Ice Cream from the cheese shop. Heavenly! Me and this guy John once split an entire pie down the center and each ate HALF! It was that good!