Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Weighing on my mind lately.......


I've actually spent quite a bit of time thinking about this lately......I really like this post from parentdish about children and the loss of unstructured free time. I love the first few paragraphs, nice writting. Little boys are so much like puppies! (In my experience)

I see much of this with Leanna's school. Recesses are often taken away or shortened(I think as diciplinary measures for the class). There is only one recess, right after lunch. I am trying to remember, I think we had two or maybe three? A quick snack one in the AM, then after lunch, and possibly in the afternoon. I was talking to her teacher yesterday morning and the teacher told me Leanna is a good reader but has trouble with spelling. She asked if I would go over some words from a list at home. She told me they no longer teach spelling in school, no time for it. At open house the teaching assistant told me that their only history, or social studies, is a little bit of civic responsibility stuff(being nice to others and that sort of thing) and they have very little science. Because there's no time for it, they have to teach the stuff on the big tests. Leanna never had show and tell. They get about two field trips a year. I'm guessing there won't be any spelling bees either then.
The teachers seem like genuinely caring people who are doing the best they can with the way things are. It's just very sad all around. I've run accross several articles on why our educational sytem was designed and the way it's run today. All of it makes me seriously consider homeschooling.

3 comments:

ADP said...

no spelling either? Steph I think it's time to consider home schooling. This school system is rediculous.

Sue said...

Sometimes home schooling is good, but I just don't want her to lose touch with her friends she has developed and her interactions with her fellow students.

ADP said...

Ok I read the parent dish link Steph, an I think it's a good idea to complain about their lack of teaching. Children go to school to learn more than reading and math. This is exactly why parents move their children out of Allentown because they have lousy teaching. If they want their schools to be all spanish speaking then they are doing fine but if they want a better class of students then you have to start doing a better job in teaching varied subjects.