Search This Blog

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Recent stuff

Random recent things I want to post before I forget:

*Justin told Aunt Laura that she smells like a cheetah. Just out of nowhere he informed her of this. He would not say how he could recognize this smell. (I think I cherish that comment as much as the one where Leanna called Aunt Laura a "heine dragon." Very wrong but also very funny).

*I took Justin to Dunkin' Doughnuts to use his coupon for a free doughnut. I've also been using those as a way to have special time with the kids. We walk there and sit and talk a little then walk home. I still have to take Timothy for his yet. Anyway, as we sat there eating our dougnut and drinking (my iced coffee, his OJ), a policecar arrived. We watched the policeman come in and head straight for the bathroom. Justin asked what he was doing in there and I explained he was going to the bathroom. "They don't go to the bathroom!" he exclaimed loudly. I assured him that yes, they do. He was quite surprised by this and stared at the policeman as he exited the store. The man smiled and waved at him, but Justin didn't respond. (if that policeman only knew what was going through Justin's head) We stopped by Grammy's before going home (I forget why) and Grammy laughed at Justin's not knowing that policemen use the bathroom too. "Don't you know that everyone uses the bathroom? Even fish!" "Even fish?!" replied Justin, his mind clearly blown by this.

*Wednesday we left early so we would have time to return some library books before we brought Leanna home from school. We noticed construction vehicles working and decided to go back to watch them after picking up Leanna. Only Jacob wasn't fascinated. Justin and Timothy actually cried when we finally left. It occurred to me that I really am glad to be home with the kids so that I can make little stops like that. I didn't have to rush home to get ready for work, or even not be there in the first place because I'm working. It can be very hard to stay at home, particularly in this day where it's not as common a choice. You lose respect, you lose social security, you may even lose a career. Or your mind! In my case isolation is one of the most difficult aspects. But there are those precious moments, ones like this, where I love that I can have the extra time to do simple little things like that, things that make the kids and I so happy.

No comments: