Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Kitchen colors-any opinions? (please)



So I am not personally fond of these colors, however my husband has a vision. Actually they aren't his favorite colors either, but our paint choices are limited to what he has on hand (from previous jobs and the paint that was left in the house) and occasionally he finds very cheap cans of mismatched tints that he buys. He has had this plan in his head for a while to paint the kitchen cabinets and chair-rail one color, below the chair-rail another color, and above the chair-rail another color. So the kitchen would actually be painted 3 colors total. The two greens on the cabinet door are the two he's considering for the cabinets/chair-rail. And of the three colors, I'm thinking they would basically have to go in that order-reddish maroon color on the bottom, to the lightest color on top. If the darkest color was on top I think the room would feel like a cave? (Ignore the dirty wall in the first picture, it's right above our trash can and stays dirty no matter how often I clean it). The middle color is actually a grayish green (it looks darker in the picture).
So......
1. do these colors go together ok?
2. Which of the two greens on top look better? (the left is almost a hunter green, the right is more like a green apple)
3. and which color looks better for the cabinets?
(Just for the record, I like my lavender kitchen, given a choice, I'd keep it. But I'm just asking for opinions on the paint because neither one of us is thrilled with the choices so we're trying to see what's other people think).

6 comments:

Sue said...

OK, here goes my opinion. I would go the light green on top, chair rail maroon, and the bottom a darker green. They all really blend well together.

The light green will make the room look bright and the darker green will give it that subtle look with the chair rail separating the two.

I want to do that with my middle and front rooms. Lighter on top and darker shade on bottom and the chair rail separating the two colors. Maybe someday when my son gets time he can fit it in his schedule.

sajmom said...

Do you think the maroon color works for the cabinets too because he wants the chair-rail and cabinets to be the same color. Another reason I want the darkest color on the bottom is because that gets the most kid-traffic. : )

sajmom said...

PS. Who knows if he'll ever get around to doing it-he still never finished the upstairs bathroom, the back porch room, the new toilet seat, the living room, or a million other projects here. He's just not home a lot. He doesn't have a whole lot of free time.

Sue said...

Draw a picture of the kitchen including the cabinets and color them and see what you think. Try it all different ways.

But I think it would look nice with the cabinets the same color as the chair rail.

Jamie said...

i like it the way it's pictured, with the light green as the top wall color, dk green as chair rail, and maroon as bottom. I've seen really nice french type pictures at Tj Maxx that have all those colors. I also think the cabinets would look nice as either light green or dk green. i almost think light green would be better b/c then would blend a little better and the dk green would just be an accent.

=)

Anonymous said...

This is Claire, and i like the first three colors, i think it would give your kitchen kind of a country look. The olive-y green colors are gross and puke-y though, so go with the hunter green of the two on top.