Search This Blog

Friday, September 19, 2008

Tempernment and parenting

I always love it when I find stories or comments like the one I copied below. I have a theory that some of the extreme judgemental parenting that seems so prevalent these days is because people are generally having fewer kids. What people regard as "normal" behavior is in a large degree related to what you deal with from your own children. You just don't see up close the range of behaviors that are completely normal.

"My neighbor says that her youngest child was God's way of telling her she wasn't the perfect parent she thought she was. When it was nap time, she'd announce it was nap time and 2 oldest would put down their toys and comply. She tells me that she would very harshly judge mothers whose kids would have meltdowns or hit other kids. That is -- until she had her 3rd child (who by the way has turned into a wonderful young man). But he was not a compliant pre-schooler or elementary age kid. He was everything her older children were not. Long story short is that his temperament was just different than the other kids. My point with this is that sometimes we attribute more to parenting and environment than is accurate. It is part of the picture, no doubt, but temperament plays into it too."

No comments: