Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Disney and Mission Statements

I finally caught the Jon and Kate plus Eight episode where they go to Disney. It made me want to take a family vacation there! (Not that I wouldn't have been thrilled to go there before, but you know, after watching someone else have fun there it looks more fun!) I've been there once, in 6th grade with a girls choir I was in. It would be great to go as an adult, and be able to pick where we go. And let Leanna meet Cinderella, and Timothy meet Mickey Mouse! That would be so much more fun to see through the kids' eyes. Realistically, I don't think it will ever happen. But you never know........


Where there is no vision, the people perish. (Proverbs 29:18, KJV).
I also caught part of an episode of Jon and Kate Plus Eight where they discuss their family mission statement. Which is funny because I just ran into that concept recently also in the book, Desperate Households by Kathy Peel. It's a business concept, but really it just helps you to focus on your goals for the family. It just boils down to summing up in a few sentences the things that are most important to your family. Without thinking about it, I would have thought that would be the same thing for everybody, but really it isn't. You don't invent your family mission. You detect it. You uncover it. Each family possesses special gifts, unique qualities, and characteristics. These are clues that God gives you to your family mission statement. I think that I have a vague notion in my head of the things that are most important to me, but it would help to flesh out those thoughts. And you never know, after examining it, I might realize some goals I had but wasn't aware of. And if I could get my husband to discuss it, he might have some values that I might not have considered. Ideally, we are a team and our mission should involve both our goals and values.....just something to think about.

There's tons of stuff out there on the subject, just google it if you're interested.

No comments: