Search This Blog

Friday, August 18, 2006

The Zoo

We went to the zoo Wednesday. Tom didn't have work, and since I've been bugging Tom about never being around, he asked what I wanted to do. So we tried the Lehigh Valley Zoo (the old Trexlertown Game Preserve). Tom's never been there and I haven't gone since elementary school. I looked at their website the night before, so I was excited about seeing kangaroos. I don't think I've ever seen them before. I've been to the Philly Zoo twice in my life and it'd be nice to go with the kids, but it's so expensive. Anyway, we had no idea what to expect. The price wasn't bad, about 20 for us all to get in. We brought a stroller for Justin and I carried Timothy in the sling. We bought a one time use camera since we had none. When we dropped it off to be developed afterwards, that's when we borrowed another camera from Dan's again. We paid for Leanna to do a pony ride, which she enjoyed. She was a little scared while waiting for it, until I reminded her that horses are my favorite animal and I thought she was lucky to get to ride one. Suddenly she was more excited to do it! We ended up paying an extra 2.25 for me, Tom, and Leanna each to see the kangaroo exhibit. The first time we walked by we just looked. Leanna was too busy chatting with the girl collecting money to go see the animals. I turned around from looking and Leanna had gone from shyly smiling at the girl to sitting in the chair next to her. I got a picture of that. Then Tom wanted
to leave, so we actually ended up coming back later to see them. It was pretty hot and they were just lying around. We did see a baby poking out of the mother's pouch though. Do you know what most of the conversation with our guide centered around? The fact that kangaroo females are pregnant practically all the time. They are basically pregnant except the day they give birth. They can hold off the birth until they are ready(it's protection against giving birth during a famine or an unsafe time). Tom liked that! He wanted to know if they could teach me how to do it too.

We fed fish and black swans. The kids really liked that. When we saw camels I teasingly asked Justin if he wanted to ride one. He considered and said yes! Unfortunately for him, that was not an option. Leanna liked going inside the Indian teepee. It was also neat to see an Emu. Like the Wiggles sing about. Leanna got the most out of it, obviously. When we were leaving I asked her what her favorite part was. She said the camels, the fish, and the lady! That's Leanna!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

i'm glad you finally went! it is really nice there, cheaper than most zoos, low key, and close by...glad you had fun!