Search This Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2006

stuff

Our house is trashed! All the furniture from Tom's grandmother's house is just sitting in our living room. The kitchen is still kind of a mess with the extra fridge(but it looks like we will finally be getting rid of that-found someone to take it!!) and the baker's rack sitting in there. I have to figure out where to put it and what to put on it. (Thanks for that Sue-I really do like that one though!) The lady acrosss the street gave us some kitchen stuff not long ago and I haven't had a chance to put that stuff away yet-now there's more! I think our dishwasher is starting to die (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's almost my favorite appliance!) Our house is so disorganized, I can't stand it. If we can ever get to it all and clean up, the place will look much nicer. But right now Tom's exhausted and I'm exhausted and we're not getting anywhere fast. I'm not even getting the basic chores done. There is no room in the house that doesn't need work done right now. There's just so much to clean and to throw away and rearrange-and I have all kinds or things waiting for me to get done. Boring things like clothes sorting and organizing toys. Putting away baby things that Timothy is starting to outgrow. Geting out the fall/winter stuff. There are so many things I want to make, as presents and just stuff I want to create, but no time to do it.

Then there are the parenting chores like working on getting the kids to bed earlier. I'm ready to take a page from my Mom's book and the next time someone tells me (as though I don't know. As though it hasn't been on my mind for the last two years!) she's going to have to start going to bed earlier because school's coming! I think I will have to pull their tounge out of their mouth and wrap it around their head. Consider yourselves warned.
As a Mom who worked the second shift, Leanna used to go to bed when I went to bed. She would nap during the evening, of course. But she had to get up to come pick me up from work, and her father wasn't going to do the whole bedtime routine when I wasn't there, especially not if she was getting up a few hours later to get in the car. And anyway I missed her so much while I was working, it was nice to have a little time with her before we went to bed. I know several other mothers who worked second shift whose children also went to bed when they did, probably as a result of their jobs. I wonder how common it is.

After I was laid off the routine was already established and very hard to break. I had been working on it and was starting to make progress when unemployment ended and I had to return to work. Then it was right back to square one because I was working all evening again. And pregnant again, so I was very tired. And then the same story all over again, I had decided when Leanna turned 4, in preparation for school we would work on getting bedtime back under control. We talked about it in advance and she understood. I was starting to get the bedtimes earlier and she was starting to fall asleep earlier, we were on our way. But Justin got older and very difficult to manage. He'd be bouncing all over the bed as I was trying to read bedtime stories to Leanna. Which would get her all wound up and frustrate me. I would have to stop and deal with him. And I was pregnant again and very tired. After Timothy was born, forget it! Everything flew out the window for a while. And now I am just thoroughly mentally and physically exhausted!

Sure, I've always had this image in my head of how I'd like bedtime to go. This wasn't how I wanted it to be. I'm only human. In real life it doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. They are on a schedule, just not the typical one. Generally the kids sleep in later in the morning, so they don't actually miss sleep because they go to bed later than most kids. I am not argueing that I think they should keep this sleep pattern. I do think it would be good for them to get to bed earlier. It might help Justin to nap better, or more regularly. But then again, they would also miss out on a lot of time spent with their father that way. They would barely see him otherwise, since he's gone most of the day into the night and most of the weekends. He gets annoyed that they love to come out on the porch with him when he smokes, but I'm guessing that they might remember more fondly those little moments with Dad than some of the bigger stuff like zoos. I guess I'm partly defending myself here and partly just explaining that it hasn't worked out to be as awful a thing as I would have though before having kids. The fact that they don't have a regular early bedtime has had it's advantages too. That said, yes, I am once again working on getting them used to an early bedtime. Yes, I am well aware that children need routines, schedules, and lots of sleep(especially before school). Never fear, concerned parties everywhere-it'll work out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, a lot was said in this post, LOL! You have a lot of things on your plate, that need to be addressed. It will all work out, don't fret on it so much.

Leanna will get her proper sleep for school. Some kids don't need a lot of sleep to keep them going and going. I think your kids are them. You see, Tom didn't need much sleep to function, when he was a young kid.

It was easy for me to have my kids on a set sleeping schedule, because I wasn't a working mom. My kids were in bed at 8 PM during the week and later on weekends, because of Chuck's playing schedule. They loved staying up to play with the sitters I had watching them.

Chuck worked late, just like Tommy does and played on weekends and sometimes during the week too, but they were always on that set schedule of sleeping, because I needed my alone time at night. I know it is easier for me, or anyone else to criticize you on what time they go to bed, but it is you and Tom that have to live with the chaos in your house. Now for me, I couldn't have my kids up all night with me, because it would make me batty, but then there was Aunt Jan, who had her kids up with her just like you. She loved having her kids up till she went to bed, but I couldn't handle all the noise and confusion. I wouldn't worry so much what people think or say, it is you and Tom that have to live with it, not any of us. It doesn't make you bad parents, just different, LOL.

Now, lets get on the messy house. Well, it can't be any worse than my house right now. With having all Bill's things and things from my mom's house being brought here. I thought I was doing good at getting organized, until this weekend. Now everything is in such a disarray. I worked last night at getting the kitchen cleaned until 1:30 AM. Let me tell you how tired and exhausted I was. My feet hurt me so much I couldn't stand on them or walk anymore. They were swollen by the time I turned in for bed, just like tonight. Never knew how much work has to be done to get a house ready to sell.

You should see Nanny's house now. We tore up all the carpet in the house, to show off all the hardwood floors. Needless to say under the hall carpet was a patched floor from an old register in the floor, so that has to be replaced to match the rest of the floors. I forgot about that being there until I saw it, oh well! Uncle Butch spilt paint on the kitchen floor, so that needs to be redone. He wants Tom to do it because he said he does a good job of laying new floors. Hopefully, when this couple comes to see the house this week they like it and we don't have to do anymore work. But if they aren't interested in the house then we are putting new windows in the house. So, tell Tom that Uncle Butch wants him to help him do the windows, so he doesn't have to charge the estate for labor. We will recoup from raising the price of the house.

Jamie said...

steph, i wouldn't stress so much about leanna going to bed earlier...i'm kinda in the same boat, jonathan goes to bed around 11 pm since he sleeps in with daddy...eventually, when he starts going to day care again, he'll have to get up earlier but instead of trying to "get him in the routine" as they say, i just figure he'll adjust to the new routine of getting up at 7 (and not 9 or 10, napping with daycare at 12 and he'll go to bed earlier if he has to...granted, i'm sure alot of people disagree with me on this b/c there is the potential for a couple (if not more) of cranky kid days, but you'll have these trying to get them on a schedule anyways, right? not to mention, you'll wear yourself out!

anyways, good luck! how exciting for leanna to be starting school!!

Jamie said...

oh! and i feel the same way you do about spending time...i LOVE that jonathan goes to bed at 11...i get more time with him! instead of the usual rushed evening, eat, bath, sleep...i get a few nice quality hours with him! i wouldn't change it if i didnt have to! :-)

sajmom said...

There are times when I notice that Leanna did seem to need more sleep (probably going through a growth spurt or just something developmentally) only every once in a while. I don't think Leanna needed to nap though. Our schedule worked fine for her. With Justin-he needs a nap but I never know whether or not he will take it. Some days he will nap and others he will just cry and cry and refuses. I think it would actually benefit him more than Leanna to have an early bedtime and rising time. Who knows, he still might not nap for me-he's pretty stubborn. But the earlier schedule allows for more time for the whole bedtime ritual-pjs, wash up, brush teeth, read stories & sing songs. The stuff that winds them down first to go to sleep. Right now it is very rushed, and stories or songs are sometimes skipped. And I want Leanna to be alert and ready for kindergarten! I'm excited about it too!

sajmom said...

Sue:
I can't imagine what your house looks like-it's so small and you're so busy doing stuff at your mom's!