Search This Blog

Sunday, August 06, 2006

A fun night for all...........

Things started off slow yesterday. My Mom had a headache on her birthday and everyone was a bit tired. I was really cranky from running around the house trying to get it cleaned and keep the children fed/changed/clothed. But finally my sisters showed up and started to help so the place got decorated and we were able to clear off surfaces for food. Laura had made an angel food cake decorated with whipped cream and strawberries, cookies with peanut butter cups on top and also deviled eggs. She gets really possesive of those eggs man! If you want to eat some I recommend you wait until she's out of the room. I don't know what she plans on doing with them, but she doesn't like it when you eat them! Leanna is finally big enough that she can blow up balloons herself-she was excited about that. It wasn't too hot outside, that was nice. And Tom only "worked" a half day with Jerry on Saturday, then they came over here and Jerry actually helped Tom clean up the backyard. So it looked nice for a change, and Tom wasn't doing all the outside cleaning at the last moment like usual. Claire graced us with her presence for longer than usual, and was surprisingly pleasant. Even while being squirted with a hose. Yup, Tom hosed her down!

Mimi and Uncle David came for a while, and one of the best parts of the night was when Mom, Uncle David, and Aunt Cindy were all reminicing about their childhood. They have some funny stories to tell! It doesn't matter how many times I hear those stories, they're still good. And I've been hearing some of them since I was a kid. I wish our video camera was working-I'd love to get them on tape. That's the sort of thing you want to preserve for posterity. Aunt Cindy had written little birthday poems for Mom and Uncle David(they're a day and a year apart) and we enjoyed hearing those. She had written them neatly on parchment style paper and they were all rolled up like a scroll. There was a red velvet cake for Uncle David too. Laura had bought my Mom a card that played SuperFreak, and later Tom played Runaround Sue (he said-it wasn't so recognizable to the rest of us) on the guitar. After the birthday party he was giving Claire guitar lessons in the living room. My other favorite part of the night was the balloon fight. Simple stuff like that can really be the best. Much better than expensive party favors or hired clowns. I should explain that this was no ordinary balloon fight though. Oh no-we had a full contact balloon battle in the kitchen. Everyone was laughing hysterically. Leanna got mad because people weren't throwing balloons specifically at her. Or at least not as often as she wanted. Claire was the first to leave, she had guitar lessons waiting for her, Leanna wandered in and out, then Laura and I eventually left too. And the adults-my Mom and Dad, Aunt Cindy and Uncle Bob-were still going strong with the balloon battle. You know, I was just reading somewhere that kindergarteners laugh an average of about 125 times a day, and adults only 17 times. I think we all got in our fair share last night. I picked up Laura's camera and took a few pictures. I wish I had pictures to post here, but Laura wouldn't share. She says she will email me some, but I'll believe that when I see it. She's promised that one before! I really really miss having a camera!

1 comment:

Star-Crossed Pimp said...

I laugh A LOT at my job. Everyone's so funny.
I think in our family, we don't do enough things like stupid balloon fights. Everyone is so serious anymore. You guys just want to do the cookout and sit around and talk. There's rarely much energy to our gatherings anymore and yesterday was a refreshing exception to that rule. That's why I stuck around longer. I don't miss anything at most of our gatherings because it's the same old-same old.
There could easily have been a hose fight between all of us. I guess everyone's too tired and run-down for fun anymore.