Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I bet I have this!!

They Say: Math Struggles May Really Be All in Your Head
Posted by AmyinMotown
I’m good at some things, but math is not one of them. The one math skill I possess is calculating a restaurant tip; however, more times than not my husband sits there tapping his fork while I stare into space and mouth “carry the one…” since he’s figured it out minutes ago. And it’s not for lack of trying – I got extra help in school and even had a few outstanding math teachers (Mr. Scalzi, I’ll be forever grateful). No help. I have often tried to explain it as “it’s just not the way my brain works”—which, as it turns out, might be true.Many children who struggle with math have a brain anomaly called “developmental dyscalculia.” It’s similar to dyslexia but with numbers instead of with words. People who have it typically have trouble connecting a numerical symbol like “5” with the quantity it represents.Researcher Daniel Ansari, Canada Research Chair in Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Western Ontario, is using MRI brain imaging to better understand the disorder. He’s found that the brains of children with developmental dyscalculia show atypical activation patterns in a part of the brain called the parietal cortex.With help, he theorizes, many of these children could grow up and pursue even careers they thought were closed off to them because of their difficulties with math.Sounds awesome –but for right now, I think I’ll stick with my cell phone calculator and my ten fingers and toes. Because so far, my ninth grade wail that I’d never neeeedddd algebra has proved very, very true.

No comments: