Search This Blog

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Chatty women?

Last night for reasons I won't get into here, we were having a conversation with a moron. He started making his usual sexist-my-wife-always-nags-me-and-never-lets-me-do-anything comments. Then he started the comments about women just generally talking too much. Luckily I was aware of this new info:

Women don't talk more than men do. Old husbands' tale: Women use three times as many words a day as men do. New data: Recorded sampling finds no significant difference. Critique: All the participants were college students. Bonus reports: 1) "Men tend to talk about things … whereas women tend to talk about other people." 2) Men talk more to wives and women; women talk more to and about kids. "Earlier attempts to measure the verbosity of the sexes relied on self-reported data." Human Nature's theory: Men don't notice how much they're talking. (For Human Nature's take on men, women, and the joy of punishment, click here. To talk about which sex talks more, click here.)
For a better sumation: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6269204.stm

So ha!!
My sidenote: I've noticed that when my husband talks on the phone to one of his fellow contractors or employees he's as chatty as any four year old girl!

2 comments:

Sue said...

I agree on men being a big talker when it comes to things they are interested in; like job, hobbies, girlfriends, wives, or kids.

People whether man or female talk just as much as kids do. I see it a lot in my line of work as a school crossing guard. The father talk as much as the mother does when they come to pick up or drop off their child at to school.

ADP said...

And some men are noted for talking such as truckdrivers.............