Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Large Families

From Katie Allison Granju's blog, she posted on the topic of large families again. LOTS of controversy on that topic. Once again, how mean people are truly stuns me. I think I will take my own informal polling on the subject at the family bat mitvah coming up. To read the comments on the post below follow the link on my subject line.

large families as status symbols?
About eight years ago, a friend and I sold a book prposal about the new trend toward larger families. Some events beyond our control meant the book never got published, but the idea was apparently somewhat prescient.Now I see MANY more families choosing to have more than the previous middle/upper middle class norm of only two kids. Anecdotally, it appears that more of the educated women I know are choosing to have three, four or even five kids (I am pregnant with #4). My little brother and his wife (both lawyers) also have four children.Today I read this article suggesting that bigger families are
"THE NEW STATUS SYMBOL". (hat tip to BLOGGINGBABY.COM").The Boston Globe ran a similar (and much better researched) article ON THE SAME TOPIC last May.What do you think? Is it environmentally irresponsible to have a big family? Or do big families help nurture the kind of empathetic, cooperative human beings who will better address environmental problems?And with free access to birth control, why are more women choosing to have more kids? After all, they're really expensive, hard on the body, and on bad days, can make you feel insane. Do any of you with lots of children wish you had fewer? And what about you mothers of only children or only two, do you wish you had more? Any regrets from moms who are done having babies about the family size you chose?The MSNBC article links to a wonderful website run by my writermama pal, Megan Francis called LARGERFAMILIES.COM.By the way, I always, always wanted four children. After my divorce, I wasn't sure it was meant to be for me. But now I get my bigger family. And if four goes okay, we may consider a fifth ;-)

No comments: