Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2006

A girly tomboy


Went shopping again today. I really shouldn’t have-I have sooo much I have to do at home!! I think I won’t be sleeping much this week. But that’s ok, I had a lot of fun. This time I took Timothy with though, because I really didn’t think Tom would stand for having all three two days in a row. At this point Timothy is really the easiest one to have, though he’s starting to reach the age where taking him shopping becomes very difficult. We scoped out the mall, getting an idea of what stores are there now, so we know where we might want to go on Black Friday.
An interesting thought occurred to me. Laura showed me this little girl store-chock full of pink, princess, ultra ultra-girly stuff. And as I was pondering my conflicted feelings about that sort of thing, I realized something about Leanna.
First, let me say that I am totally against the whole trend of clothing advertising that you are a spoiled brat or you scream to get what you want, etc. Glorifying that sort of behavior is not a good idea. I’ve seen a whole bunch of clothes of that sort recently. And I’m not completely thrilled with the notion that your child is a little princess and should be treated as such-complete with outrageously priced toys, clothing, makeup, etc. But on the other hand, every little girl is a princess ( a treasured little beauty). And there really isn’t anything wrong with embracing your girly side. You can be pretty and feminine and still intelligent and physically agile.

That was when I realized, you know, I’m really glad that Leanna does embrace both aspects of her personality, (and that she has both sides to her personality to begin with)! She has a lot of boyish qualities to her that are not always so easy to take-she can be a bully, she’s rough, she hits, she climbs, she gets dirty, she’s hyper, she’s aggressive, etc. Theoretically I know that these qualities all have two sides to them-they can be used in positive ways also (for example they can make her be a go-getter, the type of person who goes after what she wants in life and lives it fully). Frequently I just see the negative. But I truly always have always been glad that she has that tomboy side. I’m glad that she isn’t one of those girls that is afraid to get dirty, afraid of life. I'm proud of her strength. Today I realized that I’m glad she has the girly aspect to her personality too. That can be really fun also. It is fun to dress up and to be a bit of a drama queen sometimes. It’s fun to appreciate delicate or fancy things. It's all about finding the right balance, I guess. I think it’s really great that she has & freely uses both sides of her personality.

No comments: