Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Inspired by books

I briefly went to the library (alone!) last night. Short visits can be good too though, because I end up with books I might not have chosen if I had more time to look. With more time, I might have passed them up, but when I know I have a short time til the library closes, I'll just grab the first thing that looks kinda interesting. Anyway, last night I ended up with The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule. I figured it could go either way.....another boring book that gives a bunch of ideas that either don't appeal to me or just aren't practical (require too many things I don't have or skills I don't have!). I was happy to find that I am creatively inspired by this book! (also found out the author has a blog I've heard of, and probably checked out a post or two from: Soulemama ). I used to just write things down, but I thought it's better to record them here because I can use the blog's search function to find them anytime I need them. And they can't get ruined or accidentally thrown away. Who knows, might inspire someone else too?


Some things from the book that inspired me:

*Keep things that inspire you-photos, the way colors blend together, textures, kids' art, cards, letters, vintage advertising, yarn, Fabric, etc.-and hang some from a wire or string, so they can be seen and inspire you whenever the moment hits. I do keep some things, but I should really keep them all in one place, and keep them visible.

*Art projects using beans, noodles, nature ( go on a nature hunt), thrift shops, dyeing
*Clothing reconstruction

*Family drawing time-limit conversation, gather inspiration, peaceful environment, have cool quality stuff to use, have inspiration on hand, use special drawing books, be flexible, and watch and be inspired by your kids.

* Family bulletin board with art clips on top

*Knitting-I've been wanting to learn for forever. Partly I'm afraid that it'll be yet another thing I'll get hooked on and want to spend $ on a yarn stash! I warned Tom not to let me get involved in scrapbooking, I knew that would be an expensive hobby and I knew I would be instantly hooked. He didn't listen and insisted on getting me started.

*Trace children's art and embroider it onto something (a pillow, a blanket, a frame, etc.) I LOVE this idea! Hint hint, crafty family members, this would make an excellent present!!!!

*Find a spot a place where you find peace and inspiration, a place that calms you or brings you joy. (The kids, or at least Leanna, have one I think. "Tree World" at West Park.)

*Questing ( we could do small versions of this in the backyard even-make a treasure map, bury something and have the kids find it.)

* Make fairy houses-I've always wanted to do something like this! Note to self: At some point get book Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane

* Setting up the kids with a garden plot and letting them keep a garden journal mapping their garden, it's growth, how they think it will look when things bloom, writing down stories and observations about it, etc. But I'm not a gardener, at least not at this stage of my life. It's be awesome if Grammy or someone could do this with them!

*Keep a nature table or some type of kid-reachable display place to decorate your house as the seasons change.

*Make a fabric photo book for your children.

* Have kids make treasure boxes.

*Bedtime Bags I love this one, I think it would be adorable to make each child one. It would simplify things.

*Family toasts (you know, clinking glasses together) to celibrate family moments, good grades, good deeds, etc.

*Write love letters to each child on their birthday. This is one I've always meant to do. Actually I do have a journal that I wrote for Leanna with the story of her birth and some journal entries copies from the first few months of her life (when I still had time to keep a journal). But it's been many many many years since I've written in it.

*A birthday garland

*Make joy jars as gifts. This is a jar that is filled with little slips of paper. Each slip of paper contains a quote, a Bible verse, some friendly advice, or a word of encouragement. The Joy Jar can be a simple glass or ceramic jar with no decoration, or you can really go all out with this unique gift and use ribbons and paint to personalize.

* I wish we had our big house out in the country to have a banging wall for the kids.

*Host an art night or "bad art" night. No expectations, all about having fun and creating.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

a friend gave me an idea i am currently obsessing over...save kid's clothes and use them to make a quilt out of! i LOVE this!!!

sajmom said...

I believe that's how most quilts were made. That's one of those projects for in the future, when the kids are older and have used enough clothes to make a quilt. About two years ago my Aunt Made my grandmother a quilt with squares listing each child and grandchild and great-grandchild and dates. They hung it to display it, a pretty neat thing to have!

Jamie said...

the only thing is that i feel guilty b/c josslyn's clothes are far cuter so she'll be the only one with a quilt!

i guess it makes sense that quilts were made this way, although with the ones you see now, you wouldn't know that!