Search This Blog

Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Happy Mom?

I liked this post by Meagan Francis on motherhood and happiness (the fact that it's good to admitt there are bad parts to it, but also to acknowlegde the good parts as well).

An excerpt: Whenever I bring up the topic of being a happy mom, I can expect at least a few people to react with disbelief, or with the Internet equivalent of rolling their eyes.
I know, I know. In the past few years we’ve all become much more open about the darker side of motherhood. We write about how angry our children make us, how we sometimes wonder if we should have had them. How our husbands let us down, how hard society makes it to be a mom today, how much we want to break free of the traditional trappings of motherhood and forge our own identities.
And all that’s great. That kind of honesty was a long time coming and I firmly believe we need to talk about the harder stuff and be open about the struggles.
But that doesn’t mean we can’t use the words “happy” and “mother” in the same sentence, does it?

No comments: