Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Talk to me Like I'm Someone You Love

I ran across this book on a post from Owlhaven, Talk to me like I'm someone you love



It made me immdeiately think of some feuding family members of mine.  : )    
Might make a nice resource for a therapist too! 
From Owlhaven's blog review of the book:

Some examples from the book:

–”I was making a big deal out of something that just isn’t that important. I want to let it go.”
(How nice would it be to hear that one in the middle of a disagreement? And what a gift to give that to a loved one!)

–”When you are so intense, it’s hard to take in what might be valid about what you’re saying.”
(so much better than saying, “Stop yelling at me!!” — a line I’ve tried on several people without any noticeable effect. )


–”I am upset. This doesn’t mean you are a bad person…It means that if you could just listen, I would feel incredibly loved.”
(for those moments when you need a listener, not necessarily a solution)


–”I love you. I hate fighting. Can’t we just hug?”
(this one is used not to ’shut down’ a person, but to come to some peace when a heated discussion isn’t seeming to get anywhere.)

No comments: