Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life as education/little pleasures

These are from today, just sitting for a few moments outside a construction site.  I love that picture of Justin, it gives a glimpse of what an older Justin may look like (I think).  I know, he needs a haircut.  Every week we have time to kill while Leanna's in her art class-it wouldn't make sense to walk home, we'd have to turn around and walk back out again in about an hour; plus everyone wants to take off their shoes and socks and get their clothes all dirty when we get home, so I'd just have to re-do everything before leaving again! 
So instead me & the boys walk around downtown.  I confess we do often visit Dunkin' Donuts (coffee fix!) because it's a pleasant way to kill some of the time and get rid of extra change in my pockets, and we visit the dollar store too.  But we also walk around and look at the neighborhood.  It's times like those that I am grateful to be a stay at home Mom, because I have the time to stop and watch the street cleaning truck go by, the man lower himself down into the manhole, the workers wash the windows hanging from a platform, workers washing windows from the ground with long squeegees, the jackhammer buzzing away, digger trucks loading dump trucks, streets being paved, and construction workers slowly errecting buildings.  These are all things we've stopped to watch and talk about.  The boys are just fascinated with this stuff.  Occasionally workers have waved at us or even stopped to talk.  It's nice not to be in such a rush that we can't stop to do that, or even to have the time to notice these things in the first place.  I've noted before that many of our best conversations come when we're out walking.....so many topics come up naturally.  Life itself really is an education.  It's one of life's little pleasures that I am able to appreciate. 

The building we've been watching go up since November, when Leanna started Art Classes. 

No comments: