Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

News of the Weird

From News of the Weird:

The Natural Resources Defense Council and Greenpeace commenced campaigns in February critical of the peculiar preference of Americans for ultra-soft or quilted toilet paper. In less-picky Europe and Latin America, 40 percent of toilet paper is produced by recycling, but Americans' demand for multi-ply tissue requires virgin wood for 98 percent of the product. The activists claim that U.S. toilet paper imposes more costs on the planet than do gas-guzzling cars. [The Guardian (London), 2-26-09]

3 comments:

Sue said...

My favorite toilet paper is what I grew up on and that is Scott a 1000 sheets. It doesn't bother me that it is not quilted or doubled. I have a certain person that lives with us that uses too much of the quilted paper and clogs my toilet up. So, it is best and cheaper in the long run for me.

sajmom said...

It's probably cheaper in the short run too!

ADP said...

Well, I use the "regular rolls" which is 2 ply but it's not that ultra quilted or 3 or 4 ply that they sell so much of. Giant has a sale on for 24 rolls for $5.72. That's less than $1.00/4 in a pack. That's what I look for.