Search This Blog

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I've suspected this.....

Science is verifying what many overeaters have suspected for a long time: sugar can be addictive.
In fact, the sweetener seems to prompt the same chemical changes in the brain seen in people who abuse drugs such as cocaine and heroin.


When I was pregnant with Jacob, I remember only craving meal-type foods like hoagies and steak sandwhiches, etc. Normally I am a big snacker but it was like a switch was shut off in my head and I 1. just didn't want that stuff and 2. when I did eat it I would only want a few and I was done. Normally I would just keep wanting more.


"Some say it's easy to lose weight -- you just have to shut your mouth, stop eating so much," Aronne said. "I tell them a good way to overcome global warming is if people made less carbon dioxide by breathing less. Obviously, that's absurd. You can't do it because you feel uncomfortable.
"The same thing is true of eating," he added. "Fattening food has an impact on the regulating mechanism that breaks down your sense of fullness, makes you feel an urge to go back and get that blast of sugar and this creates the vicious cycle of weight gain that we're going through."

No comments: