Search This Blog

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Rash

Last night while I was making Tom a late night supper(He's been home between 9-10:30 the past few weeks) and Timothy got into the Cinnamon. He often sits quietly playing wherever he is, so I didn't automatically know he was into something. And I was very tired because it was one of those days that was longer than most(if you know what I mean). He was playing in it like it was sand. I told Tom about it as I brought him his supper and went to take my shower. I figured I'd clean it up later when I'd mustered a little more energy. But before I could even get dressed Tom was knocking on the door with Timothy. He was worrying because Timothy was saying he hurt. It turned out most of the hurt was from a poopy diaper. I stuck him in the tub and washed all the Cinnamon off and his body was covered in red rashes. Face, arms, legs, torso-all had red splotches. They were a little hot to the touch. I haven't had a chance to research it, does anyone know if this is some sort of allergic reaction or if this is normal when your body becomes covered in Cinnamon? LOL, as my Mom said, "well maybe that's what happens from Cinnamon? Who's ever covered themselves in Cinnamon before to know?"
He's fine today, I'm happy to report, but that was a little wierd.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Don't know, never had the privilege of my kids playing cinnamon. Glad he is better today.

Jamie said...

anythings possible steph...i just met a lady who's daughter is more allergic to cinnamon than jonathan is to peanuts. has he eaten it before? b/c if he has, and no rash developed then i'd think it was just dermatitis...

sajmom said...

Yes, let me tell you, it is quite a "privilege", LOL.

I wouldn't have thought you could be allergic to something like cinnamon! All three boys have sensitive skin though, so who knows?

Anonymous said...

My 2 1/2 year old daughter today, while I was on the phone, decided to play in cinnamon, filling a plastic cup with it and rubbing it on her face. Then she said she needed a bath. I'll say. She looked like a ragamuffin. So I washed her off, and just like you, found bright red skin wherever I washed off the cinnamon. It went away after half an hour. Since she has lots of food intolerances, I logged on to see what I could find out about cinnamon reactions. I found your page, and started laughing when I realized your experience wasn't that long ago either. Must be the holidays!! I haven't found anything yet, but I'm going to keep her off cinnamon for the time being to make sure it's not a food intolerance (she only has cinnamon on oatmeal anyway).

sajmom said...

I'm glad to know my kids aren't the only ones playing in the cinnamon!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know it's been over a year since this was posted, but my daughter (21months) has this problem with cinnamon. It's just contact dermatitus (sp?). Think of it as a skin allergy.

She used to eat cinnamon toast fairly often, then about three months ago she started getting a little red around her lips afterwards, from where it had rubbed onto her skin while eating. I didn't think much of it, but then she got into a container of it and got it all over herself and the living room. She had red blotches whereever it had gotten on her.

She's recently developed the same problem from Ranch dressing, but I don't know what ingredient caused that. She ate some Pumpkin spice cheese spread and it has cinnamon in it. We didn't know that until she developed the rednuss under where she had smeared it on herself.

Dealing with this can go either way. Limited exposure over time (like once a week) can lead to some kids becoming more allergic to it or other things. This typically takes place in kids under three, so I'm trying to have her avoid this stuff until she turns three. But likewise sometimes tolerances can build up and then you don't have to worry about it. So, like I said, I'm going to limit her cinnamon until age three, then expose her to it little by little until she's over it. I will ask the pediatrician first though, of course.

Also, kids with eczema are more likely to have this problem. IT didn't prove so in our case, as my eczema kid doesn't have this problem and my non-eczema kid does.