Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

Always inspiring, Rosie the Riveter

I thought this was an interesting story, it's about the woman who inspired "Rosie the Riveter" who didn't know she  played a part in it until four decades later.  And she only held the factory job (where she was photographed) for two weeks.  Rosie's real name was Geraldine Doyle, and her death has brought attention to the famous recruitment poster and it's image which has been used countless times since. 
"Rosie the Riveter is the image of an independent woman who is in control of her own destiny," Beckwith said. "(Doyle) was a gracious, beautiful woman. Her death is the passing of an era, and we need to take note of that. We need to respect what she stood for."

I'm also fond of it because I used to have that image as a screen saver on my work computer at the English Dept. when I was in college.  In fact, my sister recently gave me a tile with Rosie-with the bulging muscle, but also holding a pot of coffee.

"it was Doyle's poster that would eventually become the central face of Rosies everywhere and the rallying cry for an entire social movement.

Her message resonates with women even today.

  "It's the 'We Can Do It!' attitude," said Cynthia Ghering, 41, an avid Rosie the Riveter collector and director of the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections.



"My grandmother passed that attitude on to my mom, and my mom passed it on to me, and it's what I hope to pass onto my daughter. It's something that still motivates us. She reminds us that women can take on anything."

No comments: