Search This Blog

Thursday, December 02, 2010


I made my own laundry detergent tonight.  Cut my hand twice while grating, but otherwise easy to make.  We thought it smelled lovely, Tom even asked what smelled so fresh when he came home, maybe an hour after it was done! 

Powdered Laundry Detergent – Recipe #4
2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated – you could also try the other bar soaps listed at the top)

1 cup Washing Soda

1 cup Borax


■Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.

■Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

7 comments:

ADP said...

Homemade laundry detergent does smell really good. It makes the whole basement smell wonderful the first few days.

Sue said...

Niki from my church makes her own laundry soap & makes her baby wipes out of paper towels. She said, the only think she doesn't like is the grating the soap, because she is always cutting her fingers. She said it costs 90 cents a load.

Sue said...

What were the ingredients to your mom's green dishwashing detergent? She had given me some of that last year and it was really good, but I used too much, because I didn't know how much to use of it.

I fouond the wesite that some of these homemade products are on, one is called Tipnut.

How long did it take you to make the whole detergent?

sajmom said...

I don't know how long it took, I wasn't paying attention. Most estimates of cost are far below your friend's......the ones I've seen all estimate around 3 cents per full load.
I don't know what was in the dishwashing detergent, you'd have to ask my Mom.

Sue said...

Yup, you were correct on the cost per load. I was thinking of what it cost to make a pack of homemade cigarettes, and that is 90 cents a pack.....Sorry! Niki confirmed it today. I added it up between 2 stores on the supplies on what that costs....Redner's $7.15 vs Giant $7.26

Sue said...

Is your laundry soap liquid or powder that you made?

sajmom said...

I used the recipie that I included in the post. (That would be powdered). But there are plenty of recipies for homemade liquid detergent if that's what you prefer.