Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Repairs

Here's the new bathroom door, and a new access panel that Tom installed (easy access to the plumbing).  We can now close the bathroom door all the way, and even lock it if we desire!
He also fixed the railing that was falling off the wall (never installed properly in the first place) and repaired some of the plumbing so that it no longer leaks water from the toilet (lovely) or bathwater into our living room.  He's currently trying to find a way to move the washer/dryer into the basement.  Our washer is off balance since we moved in we think because the kitchen floor isn't able to support the weight(we've eliminated all other causes). 
Our kitchen was originally a porch and when Tom uncovered the floor to re-do it he found mold and the worst framing job he'd ever seen.  He fixed what he could given our time and financial constraints, and finished the floor.  But it's clear that either the floor needs to be re-done, or he has to affix wood supporting the washer-which would ruin the new laminate flooring he put over top-or they have to be moved into the basement.  Otherwise our washer will die soon. 
There's much more to be done, but it's slowly getting a little nicer here. 

4 comments:

Sue said...

It's the landlord's job to fix these repairs, so I hope he is deducting it from your rent.

Try tilting the washer towards you, by pulling the back of the washer and letting it slam back down, that is how you level a washer. I was told that by Schaffer's Appliance Co., which was Aunt Jan's father's business and he dealt with selling washers and installing them.

Hope this was a help.

Sue said...

I hope this landlord is better than the last for you all, when it comes to repairing his property.

How I do this when I want to repair my landlord's property is I fix the problem, then I deduct the repairs from my rent, I send in my balanced rent check with the receipt from the repairs I did. For example, this month I deducted what it is going to cost to weld the railing and when the guy comes this week to weld it, I will send in the receipt to my landlord. I wrote a letter explaining all this and stapled my check to the letter, so he can't say he didn't see the letter. So I cover my butt.

sajmom said...

We did that with our old landlords and then some......we sent them a letter explaining the needed repairs a month BEFOREHAND and then AGAIN along with the next month's rent check and wrote a note about the reduced amount on the check itself. We begged them for a response but they never ever replied. They simply silently went about trying to get rid of us. You are not completely protected unless you have a written response from your landlord accepting the terms you proposed. We did everything we could.

Sue said...

I guess I am a lucky tenant, because my landlord only complains when it has to come out of his pocket. That is why I deduct it from the rent before I send it in to him.

I had did the same when I replaced the basement windows. I did one room at a time like that. He griped when he had to put money out when he put new windows in. When it cam for the attic and basement I just took it off rent and sent in the receipt with the rent check. Tom knows firsthand how cheap he is, if it has to come from his pocket, forget it. All landlords are the same and that is why some of their properties look like hell.