Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Proselytising (and homeschooling stuff too)

Though this is from a homeschooling article on Enjoying the Process (as opposed to the product).  It was a good reminder for me, as there are definitely times with four young kids that I lose focus and worry more about the product than the process.   I also wanted to mention that I found some interesting thoughts not specifically related to homeschooling.  This particular part reminds me of people I know: 

"Thinking through deeper issues, including religion, philosophy, and the ultimate meaning of life and death, is also a process. We should all try to recognize that everyone needs to go through these processes on their own. Once we believe that we have discovered the truth for ourselves, there is a huge tendency to want to take that product and hand it on a platter, pre-formed and suitable for framing, to everyone we meet. While it is always fine to share, it is much better to enjoy the process of listening to others, while helping them to think through their own ideas on the subject. I figure that if I am correct in my own view of the truth, then that truth will be able to stand up to analysis and criticism from others. If there are areas where I am still in error, I may also benefit from listening carefully to the ideas of others. No matter what, each individual will need to process this information on their own, and arrive at their own conclusions. Other than planting seeds for thought, there is little I can do to speed up the process for them anyway."

1 comment:

ADP said...

There is your own truth (what you have been able to sort through and figure out on your own) and then there is absolute truth. Not every one finds it.