Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Absorbing education

It's pretty awesome to realize that the boys are learning things, without my sitting there forcing them to go over letters or numbers.  Without doing countless worksheets.  The progress is slower this way of course.  But I think the extra time spent playing will benefit them more in the long run. 
It's hard though.  You have to shut off the voices in your head that say they show know this, this, and that already!  You're not doing enough!   You aren't providing them with enough.  Those voices are loud.

  • Yesterday Jacob pointed to a letter and said, "S" and he was correct.  I've not even tried to teach him the alphabet song yet!  
  • Timothy and I read a book about bats and on each page one bat left.  He was correctly counting how many would be left each time and found the word "BAT" five out of six times in the word find.
  • Tonight Justin told me that twice at our old house, he fell asleep simply because he kept his eyes shut.  He said he thinks it might happen two more times here.  Then he said, "that would be four times then!"  I said "Justin!  You're doing addition!!"   I've never tried that with him.
I think it's more exciting in real life than just looking at plain numbers on a page.  A lot less boring, certainly.  But it's neat to see it happen, and of course it's always nice to know I've not completely ruined them!

1 comment:

Sue said...

You could never ruin them.