Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Volcano fun

Mixing a mountain

Making the mountain
Painting the mountain

Measuring the vinegar
Adding food coloring

Ready to go!



I'm still 2-3 weeks behind on my posting, but I'm slowly getting caught up. In geography we did maps of Hawaii and both Leanna and Justin were facinated by the mention of volcanoes, so I thought that was an excellent direction to go in next for science. I got a kit from Borders. I should have more closely monitored Leanna during the measuring though, because we ended up with our mix being way too watery and it kept sliding right off the mountain and took much longer to dry. So it didn't look as realistic as it should have. The mountain was too thin and we couldn't build up the top the way it should have been (that would have hid the tube better). It really didn't matter to the kids though, they had great fun with it anyway.

1 comment:

Sue said...

It sure did look like they had lots of fun with this. Next time you will know what you did wrong, when they want to make another volcano.

I remember when I was in elementary school we too made a volcano, but I don't remember all the ingredients we used.