Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Here's a shocker

Got a phone call today-Jacob's lead level is 16. Supposedly the health dept. should be calling us. We'll see, I've heard that one before.



I get annoyed with having to constantly do these lead level tests. It's not like they're doing anything proactive. If I don't go immediately to get a retest I get a deluge of phone calls, with the callers acting worried-why? If we were doing something to bring the levels down I'd understand, but they don't. They just keep taking blood until the level is around 10. Don't get me wrong, I understand how serious this can be. Lead poisoning can cause learning disabilities, behavioral problems, and, at very high levels, seizures, coma, and even death. None of the kids have shown any symptoms-although I'd like to blame all bad behavior on the lead level thing. Hyperactivity is a symptom, but I think my kids just suffer from something many modern kids suffer from. Not enough time to run around outside, having adventures and wearing themselves out. They definitely do not have speach delays.

I wouldn't mind checking their levels once or twice a year (Leanna and Justin are at normal levels, so they don't get tested anymore). I'm not sure, Timothy is either borderline or just under normal levels. He's at Sacred Heart, and they don't seem to care so much. And I don't care for the attitude I get when I don't seem in a rush to go spend several hours waiting in a lab with all my kids. I assure you, if anyone showed signs of a problem I'd be the one calling them every day, trying to figure out the source!

No comments: