Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

New friendly library

We finally found something we like here in this city of E...........the children's section of the library!  We finally got there this week.  It unfortunately will be hard to get there (it's a very long, uphill walk).  I do miss the less than 10 minute walk to our old library.  And I fear the selection is much smaller.  But it is a kid friendly place (meaning if a child gets loud or forgets and runs or a baby cries it won't earn you harsh stares or a warning from a librarian).  Thank God for that, I say!  That never made sense to me, the kids who have the most trouble staying quiet and following strict library rules are likey the ones who most need to spend time at the library.  The ones who easily adjust to that environment are the ones who are more likely to visit the library or read on their own anyway. 
I was excited because they have a train table and a table of blocks to keep kids too young to be quiet entertained.  Jacob went back and forth between the two, which allowed me to look for books for the kids with him in my sight the whole time (and he was quiet!).  He had so much fun building a tower.  They also had a puppet stage with puppets, felt food and grocery bags all of which Timothy played with happily.  Justin liked that there were giant stuffed animals that you were allowed to play with.  Though I don't know that we'd use it, they also have a preschool computer.  And although the adult section librarian who got my library card was not at all friendly; Leanna and I liked the really friendly librarian who took the time to show us where everything was after she patiently set us up with three kid library cards! 
The boys absolutely loved having thier own cards!  And checking out their own books!  They were just getting to the point where they would have been able to get their own cards in our old place, so this was a new experience for them. 
We took out quite a stack of books!  Between the   (relat     ively few) books I picked out for the kids, the books Leanna chose for herself, the books Leanna chose for Jacob, the books Justin and Timothy picked for themselves......we couldn't have carried them all home!  I actually called Tom to ask him to meet us to put them in Jay's truck (he was working with Jay that day) so we didn't have to try to carry them all.  And Leanna ended up putting some of hers back and giving me a few to check out for her because she was embarrassed by how big her stack was! 
I love that Leanna's first choices for books were biographies on John Quincy Adams and Abigail Adams (though she later put them back because they were too big to carry with all the other books) and that she chose books on Rome, Egypt, and pyramids along with "little" reads like the Horrible Harry books. 
And it was so cute to hear Justin say to Timothy, "Timothy!  I'll show you where the cool books are!"
Awwww.....that's what big brothers are for!

No comments: