Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just announcing that Lorelei's arrived!

March 19th, 2011 at 3:34 we were surprised with a second girl, weighing in at 8 lbs, 12 oz! and 19 1/2 inches!
So far all is well, I'm recovering, and her siblings all absolutely adore her! They couldn't be more thrilled that she's finally here, and will eagerly tell you how beautiful she is!

Her full name is Lorelei Elizabeth J******, middle name a decision made that day. We had two relatives with Elizabeth in their names , one from each side of our family, visiting at the hospital that day. We liked it, thought it fit, so that's the story of her middle name.

Since there was some confusion, Lorelei \l(o)-re-lei\ as a girl's name is pronounced LOR-a-lye. (the name is pronounced like it is in the song by Styx )



or if you've seen Gilmore Girls (she's not named after them, but that was where I became familiar with the name).
It means: Whispering/murmuring rock.

The origins: Lorelei is a mermaid name that belonged to the mermaid who lured unwary fisherman to their death by singing the most beautiful song they had ever heard.


It is of German origin. Place name: a rocky cliff on the Rhine river, dangerous to boat passage, has been poetically personified as the Lorelei, whose singing lures men to destruction. The name has an aura of risky allure. Writer Anita Loos used this when she created blonde bombshell Lorelei Lee in her novel "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". Marilyn Monroe also added to its image with her portrayal of Lorelei in the 1953 film.

To me, it calls to mind a beautiful siren, and I just like the sound of the name.  And I think it fits her. 




3 comments:

Sue said...

Her name fits her well. I really like her middle name you chose, because it will remind me of my Nana. Thanks.

I really think you should post a baby picture of all the kids, so people can see how they all look alike at birth. That in itself is amazing to me, because Billy and Tommy looked so different at birth.

sajmom said...

Actually I didn't know it was your Nana's name! Janae (sp?) said we should use Elizabeth because it's her middle name and my cousin Betsy came to visit (First name Elizabeth) and it just seemed like it was a good fit. I'm glad you like it and that it has an extra family connection as well!

Sue said...

They called my Nana, Betz, for short because her name was Elizabeth. A little know fact on the Simons' side of the family.

Janay is how you spell her name.