Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Food issues

Picky eaters are not necesarily picky just to bother you! 
In the past few years I've seen a few studies which suggested a genetic componant to picky eaters.  I've long belived this to be true, as I've seen plenty of evidence in my own household.  Apparently it's a fairly common problem with children, but tends to lessen as they age.  Except in the case of some people.  This new article says that extremely picky eaters often have issues with the smell or texture of foods.  I've seen this in my husband who can't stand the texture of tomatoes or onions.  It completely grosses him out!  The article points out that many people with this problem have trouble eating out, being in social situations that include eating, and wish they could eat normally.  The comments I saw for the above article were discouraging, as they suggested that the parents just let their children eat whatever they want and that caused the pickiness.  But as my uncle said about his adopted son, "eventually you get to a point where you're just happy they're eating ANYTHING!"  It's hard to fight a battle, at least three times a day every single day!   When you think about it, it's easy to see how many people do just stick to feeding their kids the food that they know they will eat.  And from an outside view, that could look as though the kids are only eating that way as an effect, rather than it being the cause of the eating habbit. I suspect the problems in our household are a combination of a very real genetic componant, coupled with viewing a Very picky adult and often financially limmited food supplies.  Not a fun combination, let me tell you!!  In fact, I don't think my husband is of the most extreme sort described in the article, his issues, in my opinion, are a combination of very real factors combined with psychological factors.  As with many issues, I think they will eventually find that there are people with food issues who fall on various ends of the spectrum, and it's real for them all. 

A quote from the article:
"[They]could be one of thousands suffering from a previously unrecognized illness: selective eating disorder, more commonly known as very picky eating. Instead of having a couple foods they'd rather avoid, the way most of us do, people with selective eating disorder feel there are very few foods they are even capable of eating.

.."People who are picky aren't doing this just to be stubborn," said eating researcher Nancy Zucker of Duke University, explaining that extremely picky eaters experience food differently than the rest of us. "

2 comments:

Sue said...

When people don't like the textures of some foods, then use powders, seeds, or flakes, so you still get the flavors that is needed to make the dish good tasting. For instance, Tom doesn't like the texture of onions, then use onion powder. I don't buy celery too often, but when I make things that should have celery in it I use celery seeds or celery flakes. Same as other ingredients that can be substituted in the dish.

My friend Mike, whom past away, her hubby, didn't like onions either and that is what she did. When he started doing the cooking after retirement, he used the powders, flakes, or seeds to give it the flavor it needed.

There is always a way to get around all the pickiness, just have to explore.

I still believe that picky eaters come from what they learned or seen from their parents. Chuck is a picky eater and if it looks different, he won't touch it. Tom and you are both picky eaters, so your kids have no chance to explore different types of food, unless they have no choice in the matter, like are made to eat what is put in front of them, like the old school way.

It is only my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

sajmom said...

I do use onion powder, always have. But it doesn't always give food the same flavor as a real onion.

The kids have the chance to explore other foods when out with friends, or in other social settings. Their maternal grandmother has tried exposing them to many different healthier foods. I don't have the budget the past few years to buy foods that might be wasted. We just don't have the money to experiement as much as I'd like. Tom and I both had parents that forced them to eat foods that absolutely couldn't stand (not just eating your vegetables!) and likely that has something to do with our food issues that lasted into adulthood. Most children do outgrow their pickiness.
It's only my opinion and I'm sticking to it as well.