Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Superbaby!!


He looked down last minute, but I still love the huge grin you can see on his face.

I thought I'd finally mention superbaby's vocal skills that I was afraid to put out there before. I don't think I'm going to catch it on video, it's too hard to get him to cooperate and to have decent enough lighting to pick it up (our house is really dark).
My sister, the professional, was the person I was most afraid of disbelief from-and she has since heard a few demonstrations on her own-so I feel I can brave scoffing from anyone else.

Jacob repeated back to me the phrase "I Love You". Very clearly at first then after multiple repeats it degraded a bit. But he's repeated it to me on multiple occasions, and my Mom's heard it more than once as well. I'm not saying he understands the words, though I think he gets the gist of it. Laura swore she heard Jacob say her name (I was doing something and I didn't actually hear that one, but I don't doubt it).
He calls for me: Mamamama! or Mum-mum He has different tones he uses, depending on his mood. When he's calling for me to pick him up! Now! it often comes out with as a longer repetition of ma-ma-ma-ma-ma! versus when he's happy and just calling out, then it's usually mum-mum or mama.
He says hungry, though it comes out more like hun-gee

*And although I've heard him say Da several times before, last night was the first time I've seen him use it in connection with Tom. Before that it was more like a familiar sound he was repeating, but last night I saw him use it clearly as a way of calling his father.

I've also heard him try to say Justin's name before.

If nothing else, four kids have certainly taught me that many kids do many things earlier than the guidelines, and it doesn't make them geniuses or future star athletes. All kids develop differently and there's such a huge range of what constitutes normal. I find it impressive that Jacob is able to repeat an entire phrase, as opposed to a single word, but I am also aware that it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all. My kids have all been on the early side in the vocabulary department, and I'd imagine that since Jacob had three older siblings constantly chattering for him (even while in the womb) that plays a part in his verbal prowess.
: )
I'm a proud Mama, nonetheless!!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Well, obviously you have witnesses to his abilities! That's great...all kids are different and begin doing things at different stages in their early lives, so certainly anything is possible!

On a different note....if you blow up this pic, I love how the fan is coming out the side of Jacob's head and it looks like the molding is going into the top of his skull! How did you manage that?!!?!

sajmom said...

LOL-I have super abilities as well!

sajmom said...

Thanks for saying it's possible-I know many would scoff. When Justin was a baby Tom would kind of tickle him and he would laugh. I thought it was rather early to be ticklish, he was only a few weeks old. But we did catch it on camera, and witnessed the cause and effect multiple times, so it wasn't just a quirk. When I mentioned it at the doctor's office she just said (rather condescendingly)(sp?) well, if YOU THINK he did, than why not? She couldn't have made it any clearer that she didn't believe me. That attitude really irks me. Just because the vast majority of babies don't, doesn't mean one baby can't. But I'm just venting now.